Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Neil Gaiman's Cranberry Sauce


I love cranberries. There is something about those bright red berries, which makes me want to smile.

I've always been a canned cranberry sauce kinda person. I remember being so excited about the can-shaped cranberry jelly my mother would serve with our Thanksgiving meal.

Well, one day while poking about on Twitter, Neil Gaiman shared a recipe for Cranberry Sauce and I had to try it and thank goodness I did! It's one of the few dishes on Thanksgiving day, which my son will eat.

I'm going to translate his recipe into an easy way to read it, but you can always visit his blog, linked above.

Neil Gaiman's Cranberry Sauce

Please note, this is a 2-day recipe, so start early!

Ingredients:
1 lb fresh cranberries
2 cups water
2 cups sugar
1 pinch of salt

1. Wash the cranberries, removing any soft ones.

2. Bring the water to a boil. Add the cranberries, sugar, and salt to the boiling water.

3. Boil for about 25 minutes, skimming off the pink froth, and stirring occasionally.

4. Keep boiling until the sauce becomes a thick jelly. When you drop a drip of sauce into a cup of cold water, it will hold it's shape when the sauce is done. 

5. Pour the jelly into a jelly mold, if you have one, or as Neil suggested a tupperware bowl. I used a small Pyrex bowl which I tempered with warm water first.

7. Let the steaming jelly cool on a counter until you can place it safely into the fridge.

8. The next day, fill a sink with hot water, hold the bottom of the jelly mold in the water for a few seconds, then turn it upside down onto a plate.

I hope you will try this recipe. It is really delicious, very easy and kind a fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment