Monday, May 22, 2017

Today's Post is brought to you by Laundry!


Do you ever have one of those days where you have a to-do list a mile long and on that list are those things you really want to do. Those ones you hold precious, because they are a pleasure? That's at least how I split up my daily chores.
  • Things I must do.
  • Things I should do.
  • Things I want to do.
Usually the things in the third section never get completed, because I've got too many "must do's" on my list. One is in the photo above. This is our usual household laundry loads, three baskets worth, which include children's clothing, towels, and bed linens (and a smattering of dinosaurs for authenticity).

I'll freely admit my house is not in the best order lately. I re-injured my back in April and haven't felt up to the bending, pushing, pulling, and crawling of housekeeping, but I'm determined to have a tidy house. I'm not talking spotless, but at least most things in their place with less than an inch of dust.

I know I can do this, because I've done it before and that's with children. Wanna see my plan?

Ok, first a disclaimer. My home is small. 1100 square feet small, so cleaning is not often a big ordeal, but if messes are tidied daily, the house quickly succumbs to nightmare territory.

Right, back to the plan.

I've broken my house up into zones and  then I work daily zones and weekly zones.
  • Monday is Bathrooms
  • Tuesday is Kitchen
  • Wednesday is Declutter (With a 4 & 2 year old, we're always acquiring clutter.)
  • Thursday is Bedrooms
  • Friday is Living/Dining/Hallway
Each week is dedicated to a single zone, so for example the week I concentrate on the Bathrooms, I will spend an extra 15 minutes or so deep cleaning something I don't do every week. This can be things like refilling soap dispensers, cleaning out the cabinets, or washing the shower curtains.

I found I had to do two zones a weeks because my house was getting tidy, but it needed some deep cleaning. If I stick with my schedule, I'm golden. My house is good. But the moment I go lax on my duties, it all comes tumbling down.

So tell me, what do you do to keep a tidy home?

No comments:

Post a Comment